top of page

VHRR Club Plates Scheme 

Register your pride and joy through the VHRR Club plates scheme.


Club Plates Information

Victoria’s Club Permit scheme allows VHRR members to make limited non-commercial use of eligible historic vehicles on the road network. Club Permit plates have white characters on a maroon background, which makes them easily identifiable to other road users. 

A Club Permit can be issued to any vehicle in the following categories:


  • Veteran Vehicles – Manufactured before 1 January 1919

  • Vintage Vehicles – Manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931

  • Classic & Historic Vehicles – Manufactured after 31 December 1930 and 25 years before the date of the application.

There is a robust process to register an eligible vehicle via the Victorian Historic Racing Register on Club Plates Scheme. 

1. Vic Roads Form Requirements

To obtain club plates with Vic Roads, first, you will need signed documentation from our club plate officer in order to prove eligibility. To do this you will need a variety of documents. Before considering placing a vehicle on to CPS, it will be necessary to familiarise yourself with the new elements. There are now two (2) forms: (A) Club Permit Application (B) Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles (Club officer will complete the details)

A . Club Permit Application Form

The Club Permit application form must be signed by you (the applicant) and a VHRR club plate officer to indicate that you are a member of the VHRR. 

The Club Permit application must be signed and dated and lodged with Vic Roads within 30 days of the declaration date on the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form (below) or the Club Permit application will be rejected by Vic Roads, and a new Club Permit application will be required. Here, you will be required to nominate which of the eight (8) categories describes your vehicle. Club permit application forms can be downloaded here. Download [PDF 97 Kb]

B. Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles

If the vehicle has been changed from its original specification, it will be necessary for you to review the Vehicle Standards VSI 8 or VSI 33 guidelines. A VASS certificate may be required and WILL be required if the vehicle has not had previous Australian registration. This is not the club’s responsibility. This form must be signed by a VHRR club permit officer declaring your vehicle is safe for use on the road and meets relevant vehicle standards requirements. Download the VASS certificate here  Download [PDF 185 Kb]

2. Proof Of Ownership

All applicants must provide proof of ownership, i.e. purchase documents and or previous registration in your name. The document must show the VIN or chassis number, engine number; name and address and signature of the previous owner; name and address of the new owner and date of transaction. 

3. Vehicle Identification

We ask that all applicants provide a set of 6 x 4-inch dated photographs. The photographs MUST include images of the front, driver’s side, rear, driving position (side on with driver’s door open) and, where possible, any identifiers such as chassis number and engine number. The photographs are retained by the Club.

4. Roadworthy Certificates

In line with the current Vic Roads legislation, you will need to provide the club with a current and valid roadworthy certificate. Please note, that if you are a new member of the club or have bought a car that was previously owned by a VHRR member and has club plates, you will need to go through this process again. More information on roadworthy certificates can be found here on the Vic Roads website. Hard copies of the application forms are available at offices, but not copies of VSI8 or VSI 33. Roadworthy requirements can be downloaded here. Download [PDF 139 Kb]

5. Club Membership

Club Plates are only eligible to members of approved Vic Roads car clubs of which the VHRR is one. It is mandatory, that you are a current and paid-up member of the VHRR at all times.  All Membership information can be found here. You must be able to provide the club plate sofficer with your current and valid membership number. 

6. Applications

Once you have completed actions 1-5 noted above, contact the Club’s CPS officer and let him/her know that you are applying for CPS through the VHRR. 

All questions, correspondence and applications are to be directed to the VHRR Club Plates Officer

Chris Nelson


Mobile: 0439 955 562

Workshop: 2/1 Rushdale Street Knoxfield 3180 (Business Hours Only) 


With all requirements met, forward all your documents to the officer using the above information. Once you have received your plates, advise the officer of the plate number and renewal date. Your vehicle will not be entered into the VHRR register until you have completed this action.

Renewal Information


To renew there are no known changes to the renewal process. These, if any, will be advised at a future date.


1. Send the complete renewal notice with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the VHRR CPS officer.

2. An alternative renewal method is to enclose a cheque or complete the credit card details. Change the envelope address to VicRoads and the renewal document will be sent direct to VicRoads.


Allow lots of time for this process. However, be pro-active with your renewals. It is not the responsibility of the VHRR to tell you that your renewal is due. VicRoads have advised that permits more than 60 days late will not accepted for renewal and a new application will be necessary. We urge all current and future CPS applicants to closely monitor VicRoads and AOMC websites for up-to-date notifications.

bottom of page